When the group includes participants who hold different, even competing views of an “ideal” strategy, this practice encourages participants to engage the views of others.
- Determine whether group is ready to develop strategies to address the problem as defined.
- Before inviting strategies, encourage participants to avoid evaluation of options suggested by others. Suggest separating idea generation from idea evaluation.
- Invite participants to take turns identifying options.
- Record options as they are identified.
- Continue to encourage options until no more are suggested (or allotted time has expired).
- If possible, combine like strategies to create a more manageable list.